(Note) For the enforcement of this rule, the following guidelines shall apply.
A bench minor penalty shall be assessed for actions that occur on or in the immediate vicinity of the player’s bench (off the ice).
A minor penalty or misconduct penalty should be assessed for actions that occur on the playing surface or in the penalty bench area.
(a) A minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct shall be assessed to any player who commits the following actions:
- Challenges or disputes the rulings of any official.
- Taunts or incites an opponent.
- Creates a disturbance during the game.
- Shoots the puck after the whistle, if in the opinion of the Official such shot was avoidable.
A misconduct penalty shall be assessed to any player who persists in such conduct and any further dispute by the same player shall result in a game misconduct penalty being assessed.
(Note) If occurring after the game, the above actions shall be initially penalized as a misconduct penalty.
(b) A bench minor penalty shall be assessed to any team who’s players or team officials commit the following actions while on the player’s bench:
- Unsportsmanlike conduct or disputing the rulings of any official by an unidentified player or Team Official.
- Using obscene, profane or abusive language to any person.
- Using the name of any official in a loud or abusive manner.
- Throwing any object onto the playing area during the progress of the game or during a stoppage of play.
- Banging the boards with a stick or other object at anytime.
- Using threatening or abusive language or gestures directed at an opponent.
- Interfering in any non-physical manner with any game official, including off-ice officials, in the performance of their duties.
(Note) If any of the above actions are committed by a player who is on the players’ bench and is readily identifiable, they shall be assessed a misconduct penalty under sub-section (c) of this rule.
(c) A misconduct penalty shall be assessed to any player who commits the following actions:
- Persists in any conduct where they were previously assessed a minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.
- Using obscene, profane or abusive language to any person anywhere in the rink before, during or after the game.
- Intentionally knocking or shooting the puck out of the reach of an official who is retrieving it during a stoppage of play.
- Not proceeding directly and immediately to the penalty bench or to the dressing room, after being penalized and ordered to do so by the officials (equipment shall be delivered to him by a teammate, if necessary).
- Entering or remaining in the Referee’s Crease, unless invited to do so.
- Interfering in any non-physical manner with any Game Official including the Referee, Linesman, Timekeepers or Goal Judges in the performance of their duties.
(d) A misconduct or game misconduct, at the discretion of the Referee and based on severity, shall be assessed to any player who commits the following actions:
- Touches or holds any official with his hand or stick.
- Attempts to continue an altercation after been ordered to stop, or resists the linesman in stopping the altercation.
- Intentionally bangs the boards or protective glass or goal frame with his stick or any other object at anytime. If done in protest of an officials’ decision, an additional minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct shall also be assessed.
(e) A game misconduct penalty shall be assessed to any player or team official who is guilty of the following actions:
- Persists in any course of conduct for which he has previously been assessed a misconduct penalty (player) or bench minor penalty assessed to the team (Team Official).
- Uses an obscene gesture anywhere in the rink before, during or after the game.
- Uses language that is offensive, hateful or discriminatory in nature anywhere in the rink before, during or after the game.
- Interferes in any physical manner with any game official, including off-ice officials, in performing their duties.
- A player who receives their second misconduct penalty (for any rule infraction) during the same game shall be assessed a game misconduct penalty in lieu of the second misconduct penalty.
(f) A match penalty shall be assessed to any player or team official who commits the following actions:
- Deliberately inflicting physical harm, or attempting todo so, to any game official, including off-ice officials.
(Note) Any match penalty assessed under this rule must be reported via written game report by the officials to the USA Hockey District Referee-in-Chiefwithin 48 hours.
- Deliberately injuring, or attempting to do so, any opposing player or team official.
- Behaving in any manner that is critically detrimental to the conducting of the game, including spitting at an opponent, spectator, game or team official, or verbally threatening a Game Official, opposing Team Official or opposing player with physical harm.
(g) The use of tobacco products or alcoholic beverages by any player or team official is prohibited in the rink area, including the bench areas and off-ice official area. A warning shall be issued by the Referee for the first offense by any participant and any subsequent violations by the same team shall result in a bench minor penalty being assessed.